Caring For a Dog with Sensitive Skin
Find food that fits your pet’s needs
Find a dog food that fits your pet’s needs
Find a cat food that fits your pet’s needs
As any pet owner knows, one of life's simple pleasures is petting your favorite dog. Running a hand over a soft coat of thick, shiny fur feels good to you and your dog. Unfortunately, if your dog has poor skin health, that simple pleasure might not be so pleasant.
What can you do?
- Check for pests. Examine your dog's coat and skin thoroughly for the presence of ticks, fleas, lice or other parasites. If you spot any, ask your vet for advice and follow the appropriate treatment.
- Consider allergies. If your dog is pest-free and otherwise healthy, his discomfort may be caused by an allergic reaction to something in its environment, such as pollen, dust or mold. Allergic dermatitis is an inflammation of the skin that results in licking, scratching, loss of fur and dry, flaky skin. Learn more about allergic dermatitis.
- Talk to your vet. Skin conditions can have a wide range of causes - from parasites to allergies, from hormonal imbalances to bacterial infections, stress and more. Be sure to consult with your veterinarian about your dog's individual health and treatment options.
- Feed your dog well. Even if the cause of their skin condition is not dietary, many dogs can be helped with a high quality food formulated especially for skin sensitivity. Look for one containing high quality protein, essential fatty acids and antioxidants - all are important nutrients that can help protect your dog's skin.
You can find all those in Science Diet™ Sensitive Stomach & Skin Adult or Science Diet™ Grain Free dog food made especially for adult dogs with dry, flaky, itchy and sensitive skin.
Signs of a problem:
- Dry, flaky skin
- Excessive scratching, licking or rubbing
- Excessive shedding
- Hair loss, bald patches
Sensitive Stomach & Skin Adult:
- High levels of clinically proven antioxidants, including multi-vitamins C + E and beta carotene, support a strong immune system and protect it from cellular oxidation caused by free radicals
- Increased levels of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids promotes healthy skin and a glossy coat
- Unique combination of high-quality protein and essential amino acids provide key building blocks for healthy skin and a glossy coat
Science Diet™ Adult Grain Free Dog Food
- Natural sources of antioxidants from apples and cranberries plus Vitamins C + E support your dog's immune system on a cellular level
- Vital omega 6 and omega-3 fatty acids support healthy ,skin and a shiny coat
- Grain-free natural ingredients with no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives