Handy tips for the noisy July period. July 4th is Independence Day and it is always a great time of year with fireworks lighting up the night sky. However it can be a very stressful time for your pets. We have put together a list of some simple ways to keep your pets calm during this noisy period.
- Have some familiar noises in the house, for example keep the TV on or some music playing, so that it doesn't appear to be an abnormal situation.
- Close the curtains so they won't see any of the fireworks because the flashes can scare them.
- Keep outside noise to a minimum by closing all the windows and doors in the house.
- If your cats are outdoor cats that come and go as they please, place a litter tray inside for them and once they are indoors close the cat flap so they don't go outside again.
- Don't take your dog to a fireworks display, leave them at home.
- If possible have someone stay in the house with your pets to calm and reassure them.
- If your pet has had a previous problem on Independence Day please consult your vet.